Recovering our past...building for the future...

Beginnings

Anthony Simmons, a local black caterer, purchased the house from the Burton estate in 1847, and he lived there for 22 years. During his residence, Simmons helped to found the Presbyterian school where Betsey Stockton taught. Simmons died c. 1868; in his will, he left the property to the Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church for use as a manse.