The house at the corner of Witherspoon and Green Streets has been the focal point for advancement of the African American community in the Princeton for over a century. It was the residence for Reverend Drew Robeson and his family when he was appointed pastor of the Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church in 1879. Paul, his youngest son, was born there on April 9, 1898. The property later transferred to private ownership and became the “first residence” for many migrant workers, domestics, and laborers that came to Princeton for employment. Through the years, it has served as a gathering place and service center for neighborhood residents. Many of the new residents settled in the Witherspoon-Jackson community and became the driving force for social, educational, and civic advancement of the community.
The Paul Robeson House is an approved 501c3 non-profit organization (EIN 46-0587094). Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.